https://www.instagram.com/reel/DcjHYfgAF6H/?igsi=OWJsYTM4cG93eW8x
https://blog.naver.com/parangbee/224342265689
https://blog.naver.com/parangbee/221528683208
한국의 아주 옛날 사진과 영상을 보고 있자니... 주책없이 목이 멘다. 나이가 들어가면서 나와는 전혀 관계가 없는 이런 종류의 오랜 시절 사진과 영상을 보면 주책없이 종종 목이 메거나 코 끝이 시큰해지기도 한다.
저 때는 다들 어찌 살았을까? 사진 속 사람들의 삶과 인생이 얼마나 수고롭고 고단했을까? 현대의 문명과 기술을 누리지도 못하고, 전통이란 이름의 유교주의와 전근대적 가치관과 세계관으로 일상을 살아야 했을 과거 시절을 상상하니 헛헛하고, 또 울화가 생기기도 하지만, 또 안쓰러움과 측은함과 감사함과 고마움이 동시에 밀려오는 것이다. 안쓰러움과 측은함은 업신여기는 것이 아니다.
이런 서로 다른 반대 감정들이 '양립'하는 이 느낌을 갖게 되는 것이 솔직히 별로 마음에 안 든다. 명확하지 않은, 어느 쪽도 아닌, 이것도 저것도 아닌... 서로 다른 생각들과 감정들이 충돌하면서도 동시에 함께 존재하게 되는 것이... 어찌 아이러니가 아니겠는가.
[ENGLISH]
Looking at old photographs and videos of Korea, I find myself choked up against my will. As I grow older, I sometimes get a lump in my throat or feel my nose sting when I see these images of times that have nothing to do with me personally.
I wonder how people lived back then.
How hard and exhausting their lives must have been. They had no access to modern civilization or technology, and their daily existence was bound by Confucian traditions and premodern values and worldviews. Thinking about that leaves me feeling hollow, even angry, but at the same time waves of pity, compassion, gratitude, and appreciation wash over me.
My pity and compassion are not condescension. What unsettles me is this coexistence of conflicting emotions. They don’t resolve into clarity; they are neither one nor the other. Instead, they clash yet remain together. Isn’t that, in itself, an irony?


No comments:
Post a Comment